Monday, April 3, 2017

HOUSE RULES

My crush slash friend slash brother and soon-to-be recommends this book House Rules to read     to add some Jodi Picoult to my reading list. I just finished the book yesterday morning in total of 20-hours, of course not in one sitting. I make it a habit to read a few pages first thing in the morning, or read a chapter after lunch and at night before falling asleep.


So here's my thoughts about the book :

1.  Emotionally powerful from beginning to end, this novel looks at what it means to be different in our society, how a persons with disabilities affects a family, and how our legal system works well for people who communicate a certain way -- and fails those who don't.

2.  The book does have some great characterization because of its multiple perspectives and you do tend to get into the heads of the character.

3.  Cooking color-coded meals for an eighteen year old is the most cringe-worthy moment. I just can’t.

4.  Three rules that I cannot forget : Clean up your messes, Tell the truth and Take care of your brother.

5.  This was a great way to learn about Asperger's or  people with special needs if you don't know too much about it.

6.  Spoiler. The sexual and romantic relationship between Emma and Oliver.

7.  I remember my Mother in a character of Emma, a single parent who invests almost all of her time and energy trying to insure that her son has a chance to enjoy a fulfilling life.

8.  I almost did throw the book against the wall to get through the last few chapters.

9.  Power Rangers was mentioned in one chapter. Wala lang, Natuwa lang ako. He-he  :-)

10. Picoult used cliffhanger writing technique which the ending left you guessing about will happen, I don't know if she did the same thing to her other works but I love it. Stellar technique.


House Rules is tough to read at times     near to the end of the novel, I think it's good read and I highly recommend it.

In support for World Autism Awareness Month.

8 comments:

  1. This makes me want to grab a copy myself to get the feels of the book

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah! it's good read. you can actually finish this book in one sitting.

      Delete
  2. Hahaha. Paborito ko si Jodi Picoult. Syempre, nasa top list ang My Sister's Keeper. Pero ayos din yang House Rules. Kitang kita yung pagresearch ni Picoult sa mga kwentong ginagawa niya, no?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. actually ito palang nabasa ko sa books nya. I have 4 books of hers. I dont have My sister's keeper, I might buy that one too since nasa top list mo yan. hehe

      Delete
    2. Same yung technic ng pagnarrate ni Jodi Picoult sa book niyang My Sister's Keeper. Unahin mo yung book na yan. Ayan nagpasikat sa kanya. Hehe.

      Delete
    3. Yes Sir! Bumili na ako kanina yang book na My Sister's Keeper. Excited to read it na. Hehe Salamat! =)

      Delete
  3. I haven't read this but I absolutely cried sa my sister's keeper. Lemme echo OP. sobrang nice. waaay better than the movie.

    I'll check this out. Salamat sa recommendation. I need a good read. haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, yan pinag kaka abalahan ko ngayon. Magbasa at Manood ng TV series. May movie pala ang My sister's keeper. Lemme check.

      Delete

what do you think?